TOPIC WITH CHOICE OF SUBTOPIC:
Materia Magica are the tools used by our practitioners, priests and shamans. These can include, but are not limited to:
- Talismans: an item, often hand-held or small, believed to have magical or protective properties, often very personal and can be secular. A “good luck charm”
- Wands: a magical item used to “activate” the spirit world or power, or mark out a sacred space
- Amulets: an item, often worn, believed to offer magical protection, often sacred in nature.
- Cult images: an object of worship or veneration.
- Apotropaic items: a “frightening” image believed to “scare” away illness-causing spirits
- Votive Offering: a gift given the spirit world that is destroyed in some way to magically send it there- candles. the cow in the Hmong film.
- Rattles and musical instruments: used to make rhythmic noise to assist in trancing or having an apotropaic use.
- Plants: can be used to induce trance and other pharmacopeia, and may have a medicinal impact
Discuss a bit about the differences and similarities between Materia Magica (magical implements) and Materia Medica (medical tools) … and there they can cross over.
Introduction to the problem/ thesis.
Background and history of the research
Research/ source heavy. Should include all aspects of the history of the research or field for full points.
Current state of research and analysis
Details the current situation- research and source heavy
Schools of Thought
Details at least 2 researchers who do not agree. Research and source heavy- student will take a side in research
Research Plan for the next step and conclusion
Student demonstrates mastery of the scientific method and research strategies and how to apply. Effective conclusion.
Short Story: a fictional account of the discovery or other aspect of the research
Student will show mastery of the topic by briefly ‘telling the story’ of aspect of the research- a story of being in the field, or visiting a site, etc. this story must be unique to the student and by the student.
This is NOT a summary of the research: it is a method to demonstrate mastery of the topic.
- Two sources must be provided , and they must date to within 10 calendar years (ETA: some research has been going on for a long time, so this is negotiable, but your sources should be timely)
- other sources can be older- and there must be at least 2 other sources.
- report must be sourced both in text and on a source page