Social epidemiologists focus on the that may have an impact on a health issue, like Jason Sims’s asthma. As Healthy People 2030 states:
“Social determinants of health (SDOH) have a major impact on people’s health, well-being, and quality of life. Examples of SDOH include: Safe housing, transportation, and neighborhoods; Racism, discrimination, and violence; Education, job opportunities, and income; Access to nutritious foods and physical activity opportunities; Polluted air and water; Language and literacy skills. SDOH also contribute to wide health disparities and inequities”. (para.2).
Jason Sims’s asthma must be considered within this larger framework in order to develop more comprehensive prevention and treatment strategies.
In this Assignment, you will evaluate the social determinants of health in relation to a health issue.
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. (n.d.). Healthy People 2030 social determinants of health. Department of Health and Human Services. https://health.gov/healthypeople/objectives-and-data/social-determinants-health
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review the “Social Determinants of Health” article in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Use the Walden Library to locate a scholarly article (no older than 3 years of publication) that evaluates social determinants of health in relation to a health issue.
- Focus on the data sources used and data collection methods employed for the study found in the scholarly article you selected.
For this Assignment, write a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Provide the APA citation for the study you selected.
- Identify the research question for the study you selected.
- Explain, in your own words, the purpose of the study.
- Identify what type of study design was used by the researchers who published your study.
- Explain, in your own words, what the researcher’s rationale was for using this study design. If a rationale is not provided, explain what you believe is the rationale.
- Identify the health condition(s) the researchers studied.
- Identify the independent variable(s) the researcher(s) investigated.
- Explain how the independent variables you identified relate to the five key domains of the social determinants of health, as well as any other variables they assessed.
- Describe in detail the participants of the study and the selection criteria.
- Explain the type(s) of data and the method(s) that were used to collect the data for the study.
- Explain how the social determinants of health were measured.
- Identify the sources and types of bias that may have occurred based on the sample and the data required for analysis.
- Explain the type of analysis that the researches used to determine the association between exposure(s) and health outcome(s).
- Explain the results of the study in your own words. Identify the more significant findings, including the measures of association (based on the study design).
- Explain, in your own words, the conclusions of the study.
- Identify at least one recent news event that relates to the health issue the study addressed.
- Explain, in your own words, the practical applications that the research study has for the health issue it studies.
- Explain, in your own words, the practical applications that the study has for the field of epidemiology.
- Propose at least two recommendations you have for future research, based on the findings of this study.
Note: Your Assignment should be 2–3 pages in length with in-text citations and references. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources. Ensure that your in-text citations and references are in APA format. For more information on APA style, use the following Walden University resource: