Oftentimes you will see children with mental health disorders having difficulty in home, public places, and schools. They can be labeled as “difficult” or “out of control” and their behaviors often present challenges to parents, caretakers, and teachers. The ability to support these children and their families is a significant social work role.
Choose one of the disorders listed below:
- Autism spectrum disorder.
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Reactive attachment disorder.
- Disinhibited social engagement disorder.
- Oppositional defiant disorder.
- Conduct disorder.
For your discussion post:
- Provide a summary of the characteristics of one of these disorders as defined in the DSM-5-TR or other research.
- Describe some of the concerns that children and their families may encounter from a systems perspective as a result of the disorder.
- Identify a systems-based (micro, mezzo, or macro) level intervention within your community that is available for support for this disorder.